• Any Registered names in the Forum containing Skype ID or any other Contact Information will be Deleted.Try to Register names that aren't contact details .
  • Please keep the forum free from abuse , we request you to be civil .
  • Post your Queries and Posts Under Appropriate categories ,inappropriate Threads and posts will be Moved to the particular Category .

Silk Smitha

Since 1983

Ravanan
1600949705927.png

The Dirty Picture... Growing up as a teenager, she was the centre of some of the dirtiest jokes I heard from people around. I would have seen her only in one or two movies. Later... while reading the sleazy autobiography series of yester year make up man M O Devasya in Cinema Mangalam, he picturized a different, kind and large hearted Silk for me. This was long before the understanding of her subaltern origins and her experiences. Yes... she lives in my heart as the poster girl characters of Spadikam and Adharvam which was fast forwarded while watching with family and later secretly watched... I used to think why Aadu Thoma left her. One of the most exciting macho characters of Mohanlal was spineless. But yeah a decade later Mullankolli Velayudhan was equally spineless. These too characters represented the Malayali Man who found pleasures in the subaltern bodies and corrected ourselves for the societal mores a.k.a. caste. Though I remember her brief appearances in Sakshal Sreeman Chathunni and Nadodi song sequences, the most watched movies of Silk were Playgirl and Layanam till date. The Dirty Picture or Vidya Balan could not do justice to her (Biopics are anyway non sensical). She entertained the dirty society. The Dirty Society did not entertain her.

For me, She is the Marilyn Monroe of Indian Cinema.

Last edited: